Old 20-10-2005, 02:06 AM
D. Phillips

Default edible container garden?

As the season comes to a close, I am planning for a container garden for
my deck next year. But I would like it to be edible instead of just for
show and color.

Anyone have any recommendations to what veggies/fruits make a good
container garden?

Thanks,
-D
Old 20-10-2005, 02:47 AM
Dwayne

Carrots, radishes, squash and cucumbers (if you have somewhere to train them
to vine). A lot more also, if you have the room for them to mature. I did
a tomato this year, and it did OK. I didn't get as many off of the plant as
I did in the garden, but I got a few.

Dwayne

Old 20-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Lynn

Pretty much anything you like eating. tomatoes, peppers, herbs, cucs etc. I
even did sweet potatoes this year in a barrel! (they came out great but very
long)
Let your imagination run wild D. I want to do hot peppers next year in a
container

--
Lynn

Old 20-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Doug Freyburger

D. Phillips wrote:

As the season comes to a close, I am planning for a container garden for
my deck next year. But I would like it to be edible instead of just for
show and color.

Anyone have any recommendations to what veggies/fruits make a good
container garden?

Decorative squash aren't really edible, but they do count
as veggies and they do get hard enough that you could
plant stuff in the bigger ones. The closest I could get
to containers that are really edible would be opening and
drying out some big pumpkins. Kiln or heat lamp dry to
get them to harden before they go completely ripe and
soft. Should be possible with watermelon rinds, too. ;^)

I like perennial herbs and bushes in containers, so my
vote is for some type of berry bushes. Blueberries,
bilberries, cranberries, lingonberries or similar. Or
dwarf fruit trees. I've planted dwarf fruit trees in the
ground and ended up dgging them back up the next year,
putting them in containers, and replacing them with
non-dwarfs in the ground. Dwarf lemon tree, very pretty
and the lemon's flower is sweet, but the fruit of the
poor lemon is pah-possible to eat ...

Old 20-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"D. Phillips" wrote:

As the season comes to a close, I am planning for a container garden for
my deck next year. But I would like it to be edible instead of just for
show and color.

Anyone have any recommendations to what veggies/fruits make a good
container garden?

Thanks,
-D

Strawberries, herbs, lettuce all look nice as well as being edible.

Less attractive but delicious, tomatoes, leeks, scallions, garlic,
cucumbers, peas, bush beans, zucchini.

marcella

Old 20-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Boron Elgar

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:06:52 -0400, "D. Phillips"
wrote:

As the season comes to a close, I am planning for a container garden for
my deck next year. But I would like it to be edible instead of just for
show and color.

Anyone have any recommendations to what veggies/fruits make a good
container garden?

Thanks,
-D

Bush beans of any variety are quite easy to grow in a 8-10" pot. I
plant 5 seeds per, in soil enriched with compost and fed with
Osmocote. Very heavy yields, though you need to water at least once a
day in high heat.

Patio tomatoes are fine in small containers, as are radishes and any
and all herbs and lettuces.

In larger containers, I grow full sized tomatoes, cukes and Brussels
sprouts.

There is no need to give up color, either, think of the various basils
and lettuces and all the colors they offer. Cukes have pretty yellow
flowers and the tomatoes offer a riot of color, from pale yellow to
reds and oranges. Sage comes variegated, as do other herbs.

Boron