Old 20-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Boron Elgar

Default edible container garden?

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:06:52 -0400, "D. Phillips"
wrote:

As the season comes to a close, I am planning for a container garden for
my deck next year. But I would like it to be edible instead of just for
show and color.

Anyone have any recommendations to what veggies/fruits make a good
container garden?

Thanks,
-D

Bush beans of any variety are quite easy to grow in a 8-10" pot. I
plant 5 seeds per, in soil enriched with compost and fed with
Osmocote. Very heavy yields, though you need to water at least once a
day in high heat.

Patio tomatoes are fine in small containers, as are radishes and any
and all herbs and lettuces.

In larger containers, I grow full sized tomatoes, cukes and Brussels
sprouts.

There is no need to give up color, either, think of the various basils
and lettuces and all the colors they offer. Cukes have pretty yellow
flowers and the tomatoes offer a riot of color, from pale yellow to
reds and oranges. Sage comes variegated, as do other herbs.

Boron