Old 20-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Susan Erickson

Default This is fall...

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:23:04 +0000 (UTC),
(Dave Sheehy) wrote:
................ clipped...........................
I attended the show in Sonoma last weekend and came away with a bunch of
cool stuff. I bought a Cycnoches hybrid of some sort, an Aerangis citrata,
and a Gongora fulva for my shadier growing area. I picked up a Cymbidium
tracyanum for the front porch. And I got a Cattleya dowiana 'aurea' which
I have to find a place for. Finally, I'm taking a chance on a Ghost Orchid
just to see what it does. It's sitting in a Vanda basket where it gets light
and can get misted regularly.

................ clipped...........................
Dave

Missed seeing you in Sonoma. We were there from Wed. night to
Sat. noon. Judged with Kath. Fun and a nice - nice sale. I
promised to not buy. So I only came away with 4. Have to blame
Bulbo Jersey. There was a great one in the show. I could not
resist buying one from Cal-Orchids along with Ang elephaninum &
Aerangis pumilio. After Alan Koch's talk I got Lc Kiritsubo. I
should have gotten it Thursday night during the preview party.
The plant I loved then was gone. It is the only one in bloom,
but it got so beat up on the way home I can not photograph it.

I wanted to ask someone there about the three tier judging.
Novice, Intermediate, Advanced/Commercial. What are the
differences and criteria for a person/plant to be in a level?

We group the hobby growers for ribbon judging and have a second
class for Professional growers (Denver Botanic Garden and
Commercial growers). We have an award for the Novice doing the
first display in a judged show. Before the Professional status
was set up, hobby growers were loosing all the ribbons to the
Denver Botanic Gardens. We thought the hobby growers deserved to
have a better shot at ribbons.

SuE