Old 20-10-2005, 05:07 PM
shazzbat

Default grease bands

"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

rhapsody wrote:

Hi there
I'm new to forums, so here's hoping this works - I have a question
regarding grease bands on fruit trees: having attached 'shop
bought' bands to half my fruit trees for the first time

[snipped]
Thanks in advance!

Car grease from Halford's?

No, fruit tree grease. It should be in your garden centre (assuming it
hasn't become Santa's grotto already), next to where you got the bands.
Paint it on with an old paint brush, and a pot does several trees. Can't
remember how much it was, but it was cheaper than bands IIRC

Steve

I find that the grease bands get eaten after a while and painting
something on is probably a lot less fiddly than trying to get a sticky
band to stick to itself!

Is there any reason not to use car grease as I've seen it being used on
one television gardening programme ?

Errrr, dunno, are you sure it was car grease? Most such grease is lithium
based, I don't know what that would do to a tree.

I've used it round the base of containers so I do know that slugs don't like
it much :-)).

Steve