Old 19-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Registered User

Default grease bands

Hi there
I’m new to forums, so here’s hoping this works – I have a question regarding grease bands on fruit trees: having attached ‘shop bought’ bands to half my fruit trees for the first time, I’m finding it a bit costly and wondered if there was an alternative to the convenience packet/spray can method – something I can paint on that would be more cost effective? The trees are mainly damson and apple and most seasons they suffer from leaf curl and grubs. I also have cherry, plum and greengage.
Thanks in advance!
Old 20-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Mike Lyle

rhapsody wrote:
Hi there
I'm new to forums, so here's hoping this works - I have a question
regarding grease bands on fruit trees: having attached 'shop

bought'
bands to half my fruit trees for the first time, I'm finding it a

bit
costly and wondered if there was an alternative to the convenience
packet/spray can method - something I can paint on that would be

more
cost effective? The trees are mainly damson and apple and most

seasons
they suffer from leaf curl and grubs. I also have cherry, plum and
greengage.
Thanks in advance!

Car grease from Halford's?

--
Mike.

Old 20-10-2005, 03:42 PM
shazzbat

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
rhapsody wrote:
Hi there
I'm new to forums, so here's hoping this works - I have a question
regarding grease bands on fruit trees: having attached 'shop

bought'
bands to half my fruit trees for the first time, I'm finding it a

bit
costly and wondered if there was an alternative to the convenience
packet/spray can method - something I can paint on that would be

more
cost effective? The trees are mainly damson and apple and most

seasons
they suffer from leaf curl and grubs. I also have cherry, plum and
greengage.
Thanks in advance!

Car grease from Halford's?

No, fruit tree grease. It should be in your garden centre (assuming it
hasn't become Santa's grotto already), next to where you got the bands.
Paint it on with an old paint brush, and a pot does several trees. Can't
remember how much it was, but it was cheaper than bands IIRC

Steve

Old 20-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Richard Brooks

shazzbat wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

rhapsody wrote:

Hi there
I'm new to forums, so here's hoping this works - I have a question
regarding grease bands on fruit trees: having attached 'shop
bought' bands to half my fruit trees for the first time

[snipped]
Thanks in advance!

Car grease from Halford's?

No, fruit tree grease. It should be in your garden centre (assuming it
hasn't become Santa's grotto already), next to where you got the bands.
Paint it on with an old paint brush, and a pot does several trees. Can't
remember how much it was, but it was cheaper than bands IIRC

Steve

I find that the grease bands get eaten after a while and painting
something on is probably a lot less fiddly than trying to get a sticky
band to stick to itself!

Is there any reason not to use car grease as I've seen it being used on
one television gardening programme ?

Richard.

--
Celebrate Eid Safely!

Don't leave cooking unattended.
Old 20-10-2005, 05:07 PM
shazzbat

"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

rhapsody wrote:

[...]

Errrr, dunno, are you sure it was car grease? Most such grease is lithium
based, I don't know what that would do to a tree.

I've used it round the base of containers so I do know that slugs don't like
it much :-)).

Steve

Old 20-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
shazzbat wrote:
"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
. ..

Is there any reason not to use car grease as I've seen it being used on
one television gardening programme ?

Errrr, dunno, are you sure it was car grease? Most such grease is lithium
based, I don't know what that would do to a tree.

Nothing much - why should it? Lithium is quite common, but is
unique in being a common, light, reactive element with almost no
biological functions. Plus the fact that you apply the grease
to the essentially inert outer bark.

I have used it, and know other people who have, too. It isn't
brilliantly effective, but the trees didn't seem to mind :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

thanks for the info guys - i may try both and see which of the three methods is most effective.
cheers.
Old 21-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Richard Brooks

rhapsody wrote:
thanks for the info guys - i may try both and see which of the three
methods is most effective.
cheers.

Hold on!

I've lost the use of my fingers now.

Back to the drink methinks!

Richard.

--
Celebrate Eid Safely!

Don't leave cooking unattended.

Grease bands for fruit trees. mark United Kingdom 7 12-10-2010 02:11 PM
Fruit tree grease bands Mike Buckley United Kingdom 1 03-06-2010 12:43 PM
Grease - Power Trimmer ecarecar Lawns 1 26-09-2007 09:26 PM
Grease Lubrication for Trimmer ecarecar Lawns 0 28-05-2006 10:08 PM
Grease Band Graham Dixon United Kingdom 0 20-07-2003 07:14 PM