Old 20-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default grease bands

In article ,
shazzbat wrote:
"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
. ..

Is there any reason not to use car grease as I've seen it being used on
one television gardening programme ?

Errrr, dunno, are you sure it was car grease? Most such grease is lithium
based, I don't know what that would do to a tree.

Nothing much - why should it? Lithium is quite common, but is
unique in being a common, light, reactive element with almost no
biological functions. Plus the fact that you apply the grease
to the essentially inert outer bark.

I have used it, and know other people who have, too. It isn't
brilliantly effective, but the trees didn't seem to mind :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.