Old 21-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Koitoy Koitoy is offline
Registered User

The weir doors close- but still let water thru. Posted this on another
forum and many others have the same problem. So consider that if you
plan to keep it shut for winter.[/color]

I was wondering about that and had actually assumed that the weir didn't
seal and wondered if that was a problem - my pond only freezes ~ 6" deep so
maybe that doesn't matter?[color=blue]

The problem I foresee with this is that the neck portion could freeze and crack. I hope to avoid that by running a pump thru the skimmer and putting the return 2" under water level. I will hold the door down with a flat rock or something- although I have been advised by others to remove the door. I guess I'll see if this is successful or not. lol

I do not want to drain the pond below weir level- we get too many freeze/thaw cycles in early spring with snow melting and saturating the ground. I do not want my pond water level to be below ground water level-too risky for liner bubbling. But if that is not a problem for your pond you could drain the pond to below the weir.

Good luck and happy ponding.