Old 16-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Gale Pearce

Default Retro-fitting a Savio Skimmer?

I am going to put in a Compact Savio SkimmerFilter in my ~1000 gal pond (12
yrs old) - I know someone here posted that it was a piece of cake (well, not
a problem anyway :~) If anyone has any input that can help,
will you let me know your experience and any tips or hints to help?
Gale :~)

Old 20-10-2005, 03:59 AM
Registered User

I have the full size but it looks to be the same- just bigger. You will folllow the instructions- so I will just give you tips. I would put the skimmer 1" higher then recommended. This is because of the location of the pump outlet hose hole (the one you drill). The hole is almost flush with the pond water level so water will leak thru if the level raises. You can use a uniseal or bulkhead- but I drilled for a 2" hole and the 2" bulkhead does not fit. Very cramped in there. I ended up making a pipe boot.

The weir doors close- but still let water thru. Posted this on another forum and many others have the same problem. So consider that if you plan to keep it shut for winter.

The screw holes should be sunk in slightly to get a leak free seal in the faceplate.

Keep some slack in your liner- in case the skimmer settles and needs to be raised up a little.

You can paint the top with some faux stone craft paint to make it blend in with your coping stones.

Hope this helps. Happy ponding.
Old 21-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Gale Pearce

I have the full size but it looks to be the same- just bigger. You will
folllow the instructions- so I will just give you tips. I would put the
skimmer 1" higher then recommended. This is because of the location of
the pump outlet hose hole (the one you drill).

The mini skimmer has a hole already in the back of the housing, but the seal
they send with it doesn't fit - too small

The hole is almost
flush with the pond water level so water will leak thru if the level
raises. You can use a uniseal or bulkhead- but I drilled for a 2" hole
and the 2" bulkhead does not fit. Very cramped in there. I ended up
making a pipe boot.

I will be checking this closely, thanks for the heads up

The weir doors close- but still let water thru. Posted this on another
forum and many others have the same problem. So consider that if you
plan to keep it shut for winter.

I was wondering about that and had actually assumed that the weir didn't
seal and wondered if that was a problem - my pond only freezes ~ 6" deep so
maybe that doesn't matter?

The screw holes should be sunk in slightly to get a leak free seal in
the faceplate.

I know the instructions says to make sure the screws seat "flat" and not
angled to prevent leakage - still a problem?

Keep some slack in your liner- in case the skimmer settles and needs to
be raised up a little.

Will keep that in mind - thanks for the input
Gale :~)

--
Koitoy

Old 21-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Registered User

The weir doors close- but still let water thru. Posted this on another
forum and many others have the same problem. So consider that if you
plan to keep it shut for winter.[/color]

I was wondering about that and had actually assumed that the weir didn't
seal and wondered if that was a problem - my pond only freezes ~ 6" deep so
maybe that doesn't matter?[color=blue]

The problem I foresee with this is that the neck portion could freeze and crack. I hope to avoid that by running a pump thru the skimmer and putting the return 2" under water level. I will hold the door down with a flat rock or something- although I have been advised by others to remove the door. I guess I'll see if this is successful or not. lol

I do not want to drain the pond below weir level- we get too many freeze/thaw cycles in early spring with snow melting and saturating the ground. I do not want my pond water level to be below ground water level-too risky for liner bubbling. But if that is not a problem for your pond you could drain the pond to below the weir.

Good luck and happy ponding.
Old 22-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Gale Pearce

[color=blue]
[...]

Thanks for your input - It will be next year before I get it in - I had
hoped to get it in 2 wks ago, but it didn't get done, so will have to be
next year - I don't want to drain my pond down below weir level. - I am
going to check with Savio and the supplier and if they say it is okay
without draining down, I am not going to - if it cracks it will be their
problem. Other people in this area have the "Atlantic" skimmer and they
don't drain their ponds down for winter and I don't want to either
Gale :~)

Old 22-10-2005, 05:33 PM
~ jan jjspond

problem. Other people in this area have the "Atlantic" skimmer and they
don't drain their ponds down for winter and I don't want to either
Gale :~)

If it is due to ice cracking the skimmer (or the worry thereof) you could
always put a stock tank heater near the skimmer and plug it in during
extreme cold to keep the skimmer ice free..... At least that is what I do.

I found even with slow flow the no nitch skimmer will get a skim of ice
around it... mainly because it pulls some water between the moving floating
ring and the stationary pot. I plug in the skimmer for an hour and 2 and
that will take care of the ice. MMMV depending on the weather. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website