Old 24-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Decking Boards

Rob Gibson wrote:
Hi All,

I had the idea of using decking boards to make up some raised beds,
but am now having some doubts. I've read that as they are

"tanalised"
I might end up poisoning myself due to the CCA treatment leaching
into the soil.

Comments?

I'd be surprised if anything untoward happened. I can't really
imagine large quantities of the stuff getting into the soil, and I'd
have thought still less of that would be taken up by the plants.
Subject as always to correction by the better-informed, I reckon if
it's all that water-soluble once dry, then it wouldn't be much use as
an outdoor wood preservative. You could always use the Rusty
technique of putting a polythene membrane on the insides, though:
then there'd be no need to consider the risk.

--
Mike.