Old 24-01-2003, 10:54 AM
David Rance

Default Fruit on an east-facing wall

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, JS wrote:

I want to plant some fruit alongside a concrete, east-facing wall. The
site is reasonably well protected as it is behind the house and the
soil is fertile. The place is currently occupied by a variegated ivy.
Will cordon apples grow there despite having direct sunlight only in
the morning? Or would something like a row of rasperries do better? I
don't want to plant sour cherries which I am told will even grow on a
north-facing wall.

My parents had a peach tree on the east-facing wall of our house, and
the house was on a north facing hill. They had reasonably good crops
from what I remember.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS: ICHTHUS (Reading) +44-118-946-1466 | Reading, UK |