Old 24-01-2003, 11:49 AM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default wisteria

"Nap" wrote in message It is too cold for me in the garden yet,thereby
hangs another story,but well
intending neighbours are hinting that I should be pruning my established
Wisteria.

Is this correct and if so how much should I take off please

You should winter prune Wisteria as soon as the leaves have fallen to
produce flowering spurs as you do for fruit trees, when done properly they
look a bit like stags antlers. New growth should be cut back to 2 or 3 buds
and any "branches" getting out of hand cut out completely. Tidy it up.

You should constantly prune any extending growths back to a few buds during
the growing season too so that it keeps a good shape and doesn't waste
energy. I prune ours at least 3 times during the summer.

Lot of work in Wisteria if they aren't to overtake you, but they reward you
well.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.