Old 24-01-2003, 11:49 AM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default wisteria

"Nap" wrote in message It is too cold for me in the garden yet,thereby
hangs another story,but well
intending neighbours are hinting that I should be pruning my established
Wisteria.

Is this correct and if so how much should I take off please

You should winter prune Wisteria as soon as the leaves have fallen to
produce flowering spurs as you do for fruit trees, when done properly they
look a bit like stags antlers. New growth should be cut back to 2 or 3 buds
and any "branches" getting out of hand cut out completely. Tidy it up.

You should constantly prune any extending growths back to a few buds during
the growing season too so that it keeps a good shape and doesn't waste
energy. I prune ours at least 3 times during the summer.

Lot of work in Wisteria if they aren't to overtake you, but they reward you
well.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 25-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

You should winter prune Wisteria as soon as the leaves have fallen to
produce flowering spurs as you do for fruit trees, when done properly they
look a bit like stags antlers. New growth should be cut back to 2 or 3

buds
and any "branches" getting out of hand cut out completely. Tidy it up.

You should constantly prune any extending growths back to a few buds

during
the growing season too so that it keeps a good shape and doesn't waste
energy. I prune ours at least 3 times during the summer.

Lot of work in Wisteria if they aren't to overtake you, but they reward

you
well.
--
Bob

This is however a great time to take hardwood cuttings of wisteria so I
always leave a few stems unpruned earlier so I have some to take in Jan.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Surya

Mine is flowering for the first time since new 4 years ago. Due to
pruning as already described but another tip too has helped. I spray
water over the buds when it's warm. I gather it should be twice daily
but in my case once has been OK. There are loads of flowers now.

Old 28-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Surya" wrote in message
Mine is flowering for the first time since new 4 years ago. Due to
pruning as already described but another tip too has helped. I spray
water over the buds when it's warm. I gather it should be twice daily
but in my case once has been OK. There are loads of flowers now.

Is your's flowering already then or is it just in bud?

[IBC] wisteria luc tran Bonsai 2 23-03-2003 05:20 PM
Wisteria Shelly Hurd Bonsai 0 14-03-2003 06:08 PM
Wisteria Question Lilly Gardening 10 19-02-2003 03:27 AM
Wisteria! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 23-01-2003 07:28 PM
Wisteria!! GrampysGurl Gardening 1 23-01-2003 06:09 PM