Old 24-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Ken Riley

Default sunflowers and slugs

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:15:20 +0000, sacha
wrote:

(snip)

I don't know whether slugs go for the young plants but birds love the
seedheads of Cosmos, too. And as they go on flowering for a long time,
they're a great boon for the gardener!

My slugs love Cosmos. I think the best bet if someone's desperate for
sunflowers is to grow lots of them in pots with sticky stuff round
them to keep the slugs off till they get a couple of feet high at
least then plant them all out at once. Hopefully the slugs won't be
able to destroy all of them and the growth will outpace the chomps.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)