Old 22-01-2003, 08:07 PM
flake

Default sunflowers and slugs

Do sunflowers stop becoming slug magnets once they get past the seedling /
small plant stage ? I wondering whether to try them one more time.
MTIA, Diane

Old 22-01-2003, 09:36 PM
Kay Easton

In article , flake
writes
Do sunflowers stop becoming slug magnets once they get past the seedling /
small plant stage ? I wondering whether to try them one more time.
MTIA, Diane

No.

Sorry!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 23-01-2003, 10:31 AM
flake

In answer to my query:
Do sunflowers stop becoming slug magnets once they get past the seedling

/
small plant stage ? I wondering whether to try them one more time.

Kay Easton wrote :
No.
Sorry!

Hi Kay,
Oh well. But many thanks for your answer - it saves me the time, money and
disappointment of trying sunflowers again. As I fancied the idea of
something the birds would appreciate, I'll have a bash a teasels instead.
All the best, Diane

Old 24-01-2003, 10:57 AM
flake

Thanks Kay and Sacha for the other plant suggestions that will attract birds
(cosmos, lavender, rosa rugosa, holly). My garden is 30 years old and in
need of a rehash. We've already cleared out one border of overgrown shrubs
and I want to improve the soil and clear out the bindweed before replanting
with anything permanant. This year I'm planning annuals and maybe some
movable perennials, plus lots of organic material and mulching. I'll add
cosmos to my seed order and make note of the others for when I come to
replant. BTW, I have a list of slug-resistant annuals and periennials, and
cosmos is on it - hurray !

All the best, Diane

Old 24-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Ken Riley

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:15:20 +0000, sacha
wrote:

(snip)

I don't know whether slugs go for the young plants but birds love the
seedheads of Cosmos, too. And as they go on flowering for a long time,
they're a great boon for the gardener!

My slugs love Cosmos. I think the best bet if someone's desperate for
sunflowers is to grow lots of them in pots with sticky stuff round
them to keep the slugs off till they get a couple of feet high at
least then plant them all out at once. Hopefully the slugs won't be
able to destroy all of them and the growth will outpace the chomps.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)

Old 26-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Steve Harris

I grew sunflowers last summer. Slugs and birds ignored them.

Old 26-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Steve
Harris writes
I grew sunflowers last summer. Slugs and birds ignored them.

Quite expensive packet sunflower seed failed even to germinate in our
propagator last year. However we noticed a group of likely looking
seedlings sprouting under one of our bird-feeders, so we potted those up
and they developed into 20 huge sunflower plants. We grew them on with
the idea of saving a bit on bought in bird-feed, but our fine-feathered
friends had other ideas. As soon as the broad seed-packed heads reached
anything like maturity, the birds just helped themselves! There was no
sign of slugs anywhere near the plants, maybe the birds initiated their
own food protection policy by eating the slugs before they could attack
the sunflowers?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.