Old 26-10-2005, 04:38 PM
K Barrett

Default moving orchids outside

Munir wrote:
I live in Southern California (Pasadena area) and, due to a small house
and anti-plant-people in same, need to move my orchids outside. Before
I do so, I'm thinking about what I'll need to set-up for the move to be
successful. Currently I have 5 phals and 1 oncidium cross (Colmanara
Wildcat) that are healthy, each seated over a humidity tray, with
plenty of light from their own window.

I've already discarded most beginner greenhouses b/c they don't allow
enough space between shelves, are too flimsy, or are too big. So I'm
planning to take an old desk, nail wood supports up from which to drape
humidity-trapping plastic and light-abating greenhouse netting, and
place the plants under that.

Will that work? Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'm concerned that
extremes of cold (sometimes around 45 at night in winter) and heat
(sometimes around 100 in the summer) will kill them. Do you think I'll
need some sort of fan, heater, cooler system for them to thrive, or
will they be fine with just the light and humidity controls I
mentioned?

I really wish there were some kit for a 4' x 2' x 6' outdoor orchid
case that could really pamper them. Hmmm. Maybe that's what I should
do: enclose the walls with plexiglass, cut holes for computer-type
fans, and have a computer control the humidity, temp, etc. according to
a program.

As you can see, I need some practical guidance or I might under/over do
it. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

-Munir

Well, wrong time of year to move these plants outside. The sudden
temperature changes would either cause their demise or set them back...

However you are stuck.

Charley's Greenhouse has a small greenhouse set up of the dimensions you
desccribe. I believe it will be hard to keep a consistent temperature
in such a small volume, but you are up against forces more powerful than
you are. http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/ Also check Costco
http://www.costco.com for their mini greenhouses. you have to put
'greenhouse' in their search function in order to find the greenhouses.

By copying their ideas you may be able to design something yourself for
less.

Your idea of the computer fan for air movement could be supplemented
with a 'sick room' humidifier (Costco) and a small electric oil heater
(Costco). Charley's has a plug-in thermostat ($). Benches could be put
together from PVC and eggcrate plastic (found as light diffusers in the
lighting aisle) or just use the plastic shelving units from Home Depot
(which Costco probably has too).

K Barrett