Old 24-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Kay Easton

Default Climbers/plants for a shady wall

In article , Martin Sykes
writes
I've got a long house/garage wall ( about 100ft ) which gets only a couple
of hours sun in the morning during summer. At all other times it is in
shade( but not too dark. there is about 20ft of open air before the next
house). There is a narrow ( about 6" ) strip between it and the path which
is currently filled with gravel but into which I could make planting
pockets. I'd like some recommendations for things to grow up the wall. Fruit
would be good but I expect the lack of sun would be a problem. I'd rather
not have anything which will damage the brickwork ( climbing hydrangea?,
Ivy?) and I would definitely like flowers ( especially strongly scented).

Japanese quince, chaenomeles, would flourish, give you flowers and a bit
of fruit, but not scent. Not a climber, but it can be encouraged upwards
a few feet.

Would a boysenberry work for fruit? I used to have one flourishing under
a mature fig tree - doubt if it ever got sun.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/