Old 28-10-2005, 02:30 AM
Roger Snipes

Default [IBC] trunk chop

Rastislav,

You can do both actions at the same time, but if you want to get the most
vigorous response from your trunk chops you should do them before you dig up
the trees and move them. Chop this spring, dig and move the following
spring. Or, dig and move this spring and chop the following spring.

The reason for that is that when you chop back prior to moving them, the
trees will have maximum stored energy in the root system to sustain the tree
and to push new buds and shoots. When you dig and move the tree without
chopping the trunk back, the trees have maximum food producing capability to
help regenerate the root system.

So, the bottom line is that for the health of the trees it is better not to
do both at the same time.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5-ish