Old 28-10-2005, 05:03 PM
K Barrett

Default moving orchids outside

Munir wrote:
After thinking things over, here's my reply/plan:

I'm trying to view this as an opportunity, rather than a problem, to
set-up a nice outdoor greenhouse. And I think I may have overstated the
temperature swings here. The temps I stated were worst case, one-day
values that don't often occur. The City of Pasadena Web site says
that the average daily temp is 76 and the average nightly temp is 55.
According to my Ortho book on Orchids, that seems to fall in the range
of most orchids--including phals--and I do know local orchid vendors
that grow a substantial number of orchids (including all their phals)
outdoors.

I did look at the Rion greenhouses and compare with others. But in the
end I've decided to use my modest woodworking skills to put together my
own, custom-sized, greenhouse frame and then build racks inside with
enough space to allow me to expand my collection. With the money saved,
installing automated temperature control and/or watering is a real
possibility. So this could all work out.

As for the housemates, they're actually in-laws. To make a long story
short we sold our old place in order to move to a new place, but there
was almost nothing on the market. So we ended up staying here since
we're already part owners. It now appears that we'll be buying the
place. While most people here will eventually move, for now we're
sharing.

The in-laws have strange ideas about plants--such as being a source of
bugs and night-time stealers of oxygen. I'm a science person but, since
these objections are made in another language, it's hard for me to win
the debate. And I must admit that moving the orchids to a dedicated
area will free up needed space and be safer for the orchids in the end.
(I've already had to move them four times for purposes of construction
and other household activities, and two of them have each been knocked
over twice--one requiring a complete replanting.)

Thanks for your help, everyone! I'm moving them a fifth time tomorrow
and then, after construction next week, hopefully out to the new
growing area. If something isn't going to make it outdoors, or if
weather gets extreme, I have pre-approval to move a couple plants
inside or, temporarily, move them all inside for an orchid slumber
party. Wish me luck: there's some elbow grease required now.

-Munir

If I follow what you are saying you now want to build a 'real'
structure... larger than what you ahd originally intended. If so, I got
my ideas to build my GH from Sundance Supply and Charley's GH. Charleys
gives you ideas on how much cooling, venting, etc and Sundance gives you
rudimentary plans. Charley's is at http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com (I
think, I recalling from memory) and Sundance is at
http://www.sundancesupply.com/

Of Course OrchidSafari has a few 'chats' aboout building a greenshouse,
so I'll put up our archive links and you can noodle around if you want.
Either http://www.orchidsafari.org or
http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/OSTA.html

Building the structure itself is the easy part. Getting the venting,
electricity, etc out there is another issue.

Actually, come to think of it, there used to be something like a tent
made out of a white translucent fabric that Charley's sold. Came in
various sizes I have one that's 6x8x7 which was very handy to ahve and I
crammed a ton of orchids in it... I may still ahve that online.... Ha!
yes, I do! LOL!! Its at
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/4971/KOPsTG.html
and the first GH I built is at
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/4971/KOPsGHS.html, the picture is
before I moved everything from the tent into the GH.

Notice how I'm trying to entice you into doing the right thing by
completely covering your back yard with a greenhouse, becasue you truly
won't be happy until you've done it, LOL!!!

K Barrett