Old 28-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Superthrive

Friends and Romans:

For decades, the Superthrive controversy has been aired privately and in public. The bottom line is that many do swear by it and many swear at it. To my knowledge, the manufacturer has not released any controlled experiments that corroborate the claims to greatness. Regardless, this DO NOT mean that you should not use it.

As for Roots, the manufacturer has many controlled experiments documented at Yale University. Most of you know that I am a believer in the Roots products (as are many golf courses and horticultural facilities). Root produces remarkable results with my trees, and my friends overseas also have the same results. In fact, many complain about the excessive potting required if it is used on a frequent basis.

My recommendation: if you can get both, buy Roots: use it to root collected materials, minimize transplant shock, and to reestablish root growth after repotting. (For inquiring minds: I am no longer endorsing the product in print, but I believe it is the real Mccoy.)

Of course, a healthy tree is only one component in the chain of activities leading to the creation of a living piece of art. Snake oil will not produce art in an of itself. );-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob