Thread: Superthrive
View Single Post
  #12   Report Post  
Old 28-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Superthrive

Friends and Romans:

For decades, the Superthrive controversy has been aired privately and in public. The bottom line is that many do swear by it and many swear at it. To my knowledge, the manufacturer has not released any controlled experiments that corroborate the claims to greatness. Regardless, this DO NOT mean that you should not use it.

As for Roots, the manufacturer has many controlled experiments documented at Yale University. Most of you know that I am a believer in the Roots products (as are many golf courses and horticultural facilities). Root produces remarkable results with my trees, and my friends overseas also have the same results. In fact, many complain about the excessive potting required if it is used on a frequent basis.

My recommendation: if you can get both, buy Roots: use it to root collected materials, minimize transplant shock, and to reestablish root growth after repotting. (For inquiring minds: I am no longer endorsing the product in print, but I believe it is the real Mccoy.)

Of course, a healthy tree is only one component in the chain of activities leading to the creation of a living piece of art. Snake oil will not produce art in an of itself. );-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:27:20 -0400
Subject: [IBC] Superthrive

Mike Bennett wrote:
You will get NO benefits from Superthrive that you won't get from otherwise
good horticultural practices. That means, adequate water, NPK and trace
elements. Punct!
And your evidence is?

Things I grow -- not just bonsai. They're healthy, green, flowering, fruiting, tasty. And not a drop of S'thrive, or Roots I through XXV, or ANY vitamin, or even STP, :-) is added to the 15-0-15 (garden) and 10-10-10 or 2-5-5 + trace elements (bonsai) fertilizers I use.

and

Science that says vitamin B is harmful (check our archives for sources -- others and I have cited them in the past, and I don't want to extend this silliness too much longer).

I agree there is a lot of secrecy about Superthrive, but there is a lot of

secrecy about many products, it's called proprietary information. Give that
away, everyone goes off and makes it and you lose your market. It's common
practice among many companies.

It seems to be more than that. It's apparent refusal to submit for govt. labeling requirements. Patents would cover the ingredients list.

Anyway, the guy asked. I gave my more-or-less standard snake-oil answer.

What he spends his money for now, is up to him.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the berries are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

************************************************** ******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
************************************************** ******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++