Old 30-10-2005, 12:13 AM
bobc

Default Hwra. question

Hi! I have Hwra. Lava Burst 'Puanani' in my windowsill. They are
about 3 or 4 years old. [I think I got them from JB Orchids]. Anyway,
I don't think they are susceptable to the dreaded "I'm going to bloom
before I die" syndrome - they are simply too hardy!!! LOL
Seriously, my plant (now spread over three pots) blooms whenever it
feels like it, and grows wherever I put it (within reason, of course).
In fact, the only 'problem' is that flower color is affected by
temperature. The deepest, most vibrant color is achieved in the cool
fall/winter weather. Summer bloom color is muy faded!
Two are in clay pots, and one is in plastic. Bark/perlite mix for
substrate, watered when dry. However I do mist the exposed roots every
day, and that also dampens the substrate surface.
Hope this helps! I'd recomend Hwra. Lava Burst as a good beginner's
orchid.
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa - Onc Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance',
Neostylus Lou Sneary (waited 3 years for this one), an Slc. (Lc. Jungle
Elf x Soph. cernua), B. nodosa, Sl. Petite Stars (I think it's labeled
wrong and should be Bl.) are all in bloom or spike!

unknown wrote:
doesn't actually have a bulb yet, just the leafy part--and
the silly plant is starting two flowers spikes from this growth. is
this normal for this type of plant? the only other onc-like plants i
have wait until they get fat pbulbs before they bloom. is the hwra
doing one of these "i'm-going-to-bloom-and-then-fall-over-dead"
routines? oh, plant is in sphag in a plastic pot in an eastern
windowsill in maryland zone 6b. TIA...

--j_a