Old 30-10-2005, 03:28 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

Default Cabbages and oxalates

That's the thing, oxalates are irritants, like capsaicin, not deadly toxins.

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:29:42 GMT, "Cereus-validus-..........."
wrote:

Yes, its dosage.

That's why most cabbages and their vegetable kin are thoroughly cooked
before eating. Its to break down the oxalates.

Have you ever noticed that raw cabbage, when eaten, has that slight spicy
hot taste. Particularly the cabbage "heart".

Nevermind talking about horse radish. Its full of all kinds of nasty
chemicals that are borderline toxic to humans. That's what makes it so
spicy
hot it makes your eyes water!!!

Yes, I've noticed that. I also liked to eat rhubarb leaves, even
though I was told not to. I've eaten much more raw cabbage than cooked
cabbage, it was almost a staple while I grew up.

Never died, at least yet, as far as I can tell.

"Charles" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 23:22:43 GMT, "Cereus-validus-..........."
wrote:

Cabbages have oxalate crystals too.

So why aren't they poisonous?

Dosage? Odd, my book doesn't list them as having oxalates. They do
have glycosinolates which are metabolized to isothiocyanates, which
are bad for people, but they don't have much.

"Charles" wrote in message
m...
On 29 Oct 2005 08:45:01 -0700, "ncstockguy"
wrote:

Aren't Peace Lilys poisonous? Just askin....

Yes, they have oxalate crystals, much like philodendrons, taros,
dieffenbachias, other members on the Aurm family.