Old 28-10-2005, 05:38 AM
tvksi

Default Spathiphyllum, Peace Lily

My youngest cat, now a year old, loves drinking from moving water; from
faucets, hoses, pumped water in the bird bath etc. So, I, having this
quite large Oriental gazed pot I found years ago at a garage sale,
decided to make him a fountain in it. The only thing I could find to
plant in it was Spathiphyllum. I got the job done and the cat loves it
but it is not too stable. The only thing I could find to stabliize the
pump hose was to stand a wire cookie cooler rack upright in the pot and
wire the hose to it in the position suitable for the cat to reach it.
The pot is quite deep and the only way I could keep the plants up high
enough was to put one of them in a vase and set it on top of a jar and
have the water high enough so that the water would flow into/outof the
vase. (This plant I had washed all the soil from the roots hoping to
grow it without soil.) The other plant I placed pot and all in a
suitable ceramic bowl and set it on a jar so that the rim would be
above water level but will have to water it individualy for now. The
reason I did this is I wanted to see how the soiless plant would do and
if works OK, will wash the soil from the other one. Then I placed a
rock with some holes all the way through and put the hose through it to
let the water come out of the rock.

the problem is, I need a more stable way to to set it up. The cat loves
it, It is quite pretty, the spath is blooig and none of the hardware
shows as the plants are quite full but I would like it to be more
stable. would so much appreciate some advise. thanks in advane.--lee

Old 28-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

Default Spathiphyllum

Yada, yada, yada.

What, are you writing a novel?

Just weigh down the pot by putting a big rock or two in the bottom.

The cat really couldn't care less what you do with the plant.

ups.com...

Old 29-10-2005, 03:26 AM
tvksi

well Cereus, it is refreshing to see that you are still your ole spit'n
vinegar self!
thanks for the responce even if it isn't what I wanted to hear. you are
right; I do get carried away with explanations. --lee

Old 29-10-2005, 04:45 PM
ncstockguy

Aren't Peace Lilys poisonous? Just askin....

Old 29-10-2005, 09:13 PM
tvksi

i dunno but will Google it again under Peace Lilly.. couldn't find
anything suggesting that they were when I googled before.-- lee

Old 29-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Charles

On 29 Oct 2005 08:45:01 -0700, "ncstockguy"
wrote:

Aren't Peace Lilys poisonous? Just askin....

Yes, they have oxalate crystals, much like philodendrons, taros,
dieffenbachias, other members on the Aurm family.
Old 30-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

Only if you are dumb enough to eat them.

"ncstockguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Aren't Peace Lilys poisonous? Just askin....

Old 30-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

If you were smart, you would Google "Spathiphyllum" instead.

oups.com...

Old 30-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

Cabbages have oxalate crystals too.

So why aren't they poisonous?

Old 30-10-2005, 01:41 AM
Charles

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 23:22:43 GMT, "Cereus-validus-..........."
wrote:

Cabbages have oxalate crystals too.

So why aren't they poisonous?

Dosage? Odd, my book doesn't list them as having oxalates. They do
have glycosinolates which are metabolized to isothiocyanates, which
are bad for people, but they don't have much.

.. .

Old 30-10-2005, 02:29 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

Default Cabbages and oxalates

Yes, its dosage.

That's why most cabbages and their vegetable kin are thoroughly cooked
before eating. Its to break down the oxalates.

Have you ever noticed that raw cabbage, when eaten, has that slight spicy
hot taste. Particularly the cabbage "heart".

Nevermind talking about horse radish. Its full of all kinds of nasty
chemicals that are borderline toxic to humans. That's what makes it so spicy
hot it makes your eyes water!!!

wrote:

Cabbages have oxalate crystals too.

So why aren't they poisonous?

Dosage? Odd, my book doesn't list them as having oxalates. They do
have glycosinolates which are metabolized to isothiocyanates, which
are bad for people, but they don't have much.

. ..

Old 30-10-2005, 03:28 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

That's the thing, oxalates are irritants, like capsaicin, not deadly toxins.

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:29:42 GMT, "Cereus-validus-..........."
wrote:

Yes, its dosage.

That's why most cabbages and their vegetable kin are thoroughly cooked
before eating. Its to break down the oxalates.

Have you ever noticed that raw cabbage, when eaten, has that slight spicy
hot taste. Particularly the cabbage "heart".

Nevermind talking about horse radish. Its full of all kinds of nasty
chemicals that are borderline toxic to humans. That's what makes it so
spicy
hot it makes your eyes water!!!

Yes, I've noticed that. I also liked to eat rhubarb leaves, even
though I was told not to. I've eaten much more raw cabbage than cooked
cabbage, it was almost a staple while I grew up.

Never died, at least yet, as far as I can tell.

. ..
wrote:

Cabbages have oxalate crystals too.

So why aren't they poisonous?

Dosage? Odd, my book doesn't list them as having oxalates. They do
have glycosinolates which are metabolized to isothiocyanates, which
are bad for people, but they don't have much.

m...

Old 03-11-2005, 11:08 PM
tvksi

As a child my mother cooked in aluminum pots and everytime there was
cabbage, I ended up in that 'little back room' throwing up. Also soups
with a lot of tomatoes and fats. I could eat the raw cabbage but the
heart burned my mouth. I only cook in stainless now and have no trouble
with cabbage steamed or stirfried in olive oil. Think that oxalates and
aluminum conflicted? 'course didn't know about that and still don't
'cept what i am learning from you folks and other groups.
--lee

Old 03-11-2005, 11:14 PM
tvksi

did both, but ran out of time before getting all possible info. Also My
stamina isn't what it used to be and I sit here and fall asleep. 8?
--lee.

[IMG] code is On

Peace Lily-5709 (Spathiphyllum) Maroochy Garden Photos 0 08-11-2008 10:28 AM
Plant Peace Lily outside? TLR Texas 5 01-04-2006 10:59 PM
Peace Lily advice Angela United Kingdom 5 05-02-2004 06:45 PM
Peace Lily Bill D Gardening 1 27-04-2003 10:44 PM
Peace Lily joe Ponds 13 27-02-2003 06:10 PM