Old 30-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Kay

Default I have plants that are dying and I don't know why. Can anyone help?

In article , foogirl foogirl.1xp084@
gardenbanter.co.uk writes

JennyC Wrote:
Welcome to URG :~))

Can't really tell what plant 449 and 450 is
A tree, shrub or plant ??
How big is it?
Did it flower at all?

Maybe someone else will have an idea......
Jenny

Ahhh, the million dollar question. The extent of my knowlege
categorises my garden into "flowers" "Grass" and "bushy type things"
Mr Foo and I have had a discussion over whether it is a tree, or a
bush. Its not a shrub (they are kind of ground cover things aren't
they?)

Tree = 1 main stem with branches coming out higher up
Bush = shrub = several stems from close to ground level

I guess it would be a tree. It has thick branch type things...but it
could be considered a bush I suppose.... I don't think it has ever had
flowers on it.

It looks to me like a willow, from the leaf texture and the rather nice
orange bark to the twig. IME experience willows tend to do that. Not
sure whether it's nutritional or fungal. But the leaves will all drop
soon, then next year it will come up nice and fresh again. Your other
plants aren't in danger.

If it is a willow, there's a fair chance it will grow quite vigorously,
but you can prune it drastically - for many willows this is a good idea
as it stimulates more of the new shoots which have the more attractive
bark.

In your position, I would watch it for a year, then decide whether it's
really pulling its weight in your garden or whether you'd like to remove
it and replace it with something you like better.... though looking at
the link below I think you have already made that decision!

--
Kay