Old 31-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Dwayne

Default Persimmon question

I'm in the U.S., and lived in the south for 4 years on a small farm. There
were about 4 wild persimmon trees on the property, which is what the
majority were in that state. I was told by my neighbors that you had to
wait until after the first frost to pick and eat them. I tried them both
ways and didn't like them. A lot were full of worms so we let them fall on
the ground and the possums ate them. Eventually I had the trees removed to
make room for a small orchard.

Maybe the oriental persimmons are better.

Dwayne

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day paul,

not sure what they mean either mate in avacado's and some other
fruits/nuts you can have 'A' & 'B' varieties usually indicates one may
bud with male flowers early and the other may bud with female flowers
early so if you have both you get an earlier crop but in the end both
will fruit regardless of having the other there.

in persimmons they have 'astringent' & 'non-astringent', not sure
which way it is but one has to be ripe and soft to be eaten the other
can be eaten just before it gets to that stage, well if i rmemeber
correctly that is, it's something like that.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--