Old 30-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Paul

Default Persimmon question

G'day Gardeners,

I'm keen on persimmons so have planted 3 types in the backyard.

One the the varieties - Fuyu - states it is a "type A". Since buying
Fuyu I have noticed some nurseries selling Fuyu type B.

Does anyone know the difference?

This is its third season in the ground and still no flowers. The other
two varieties (Nightingale and Tanaenashi) cant stop flowering and I
have to de-bud the poor little saplings to save their lives otherwise
they would put all their energy into making fruit and then kark-it.

Will my Fuyu A flower?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 31-10-2005, 05:01 AM
HC

G'day Paul

Not sure, but wondering if they need a pollinator, therefore Type A & B?
Obviously not, on your Nightingal and Tanaenashi, but possibly on the
Fuyu? I'm just guessing but maybe someone with more knowledge can help.
I did plant a Persimmon some years ago for the autumn colours, it
fruited like crazy but as we didn't like the fruit, a local SDA lady
used to come and get it. Can't think which variety it was though.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 31-10-2005, 05:58 AM
gardenlen

g'day paul,

not sure what they mean either mate in avacado's and some other
fruits/nuts you can have 'A' & 'B' varieties usually indicates one may
bud with male flowers early and the other may bud with female flowers
early so if you have both you get an earlier crop but in the end both
will fruit regardless of having the other there.

in persimmons they have 'astringent' & 'non-astringent', not sure
which way it is but one has to be ripe and soft to be eaten the other
can be eaten just before it gets to that stage, well if i rmemeber
correctly that is, it's something like that.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1
Old 31-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Dwayne

I'm in the U.S., and lived in the south for 4 years on a small farm. There
were about 4 wild persimmon trees on the property, which is what the
majority were in that state. I was told by my neighbors that you had to
wait until after the first frost to pick and eat them. I tried them both
ways and didn't like them. A lot were full of worms so we let them fall on
the ground and the possums ate them. Eventually I had the trees removed to
make room for a small orchard.

Maybe the oriental persimmons are better.

Dwayne

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day paul,

not sure what they mean either mate in avacado's and some other
fruits/nuts you can have 'A' & 'B' varieties usually indicates one may
bud with male flowers early and the other may bud with female flowers
early so if you have both you get an earlier crop but in the end both
will fruit regardless of having the other there.

in persimmons they have 'astringent' & 'non-astringent', not sure
which way it is but one has to be ripe and soft to be eaten the other
can be eaten just before it gets to that stage, well if i rmemeber
correctly that is, it's something like that.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1

Asian Persimmon question --- fruit drop Jimmy S. Edible Gardening 1 16-05-2007 04:20 PM
Persimmon question Paul Australia 0 02-11-2005 09:19 AM
Question about Persimmon Trees Dwayne United Kingdom 1 10-10-2005 02:52 AM
Need to plant a Japanese Persimmon - which one? Gene S Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Need to plant a Japanese Persimmon - which one? Gene S Texas 2 24-03-2003 05:20 PM