Old 01-11-2005, 11:32 AM
PatC

Default Supporting Tomato trusses

Hi & thanks
Do you think it would support big tomatoes?

Christo wrote in message
u...
Hey Pat,

Last year I got some of that plastic mesh, with roughly 5cm square holes

in
it. You can get it from Bunnings by the metre or roll. I think it was

120cm
wide. I used bamboo stakes threaded through the holes and hammered into

the
ground to provide a support framework around the back and sides of my

cherry
tomatoes. I then threaded the trusses through when they reached the mesh.

It
worked well for me and kept everything off the ground nicely. This is a

nice
cheap solution that only set me back about $10 or so if I recall

correctly.

Good luck with your tomatoes.

Cheers,
Christo.

"PatC" wrote in message

My tomatoes have a lot of young fruit on the trusses & would like some
tips
on how to keep them from pulling the whole plant apart.
I supported the plants last year by staking & tying them up with
pantihose,
but the heavy trusses ended up pulling the plants down & actually broke
off
when they got too heavy, resulting in a lot of heartache.
BTW, the plants are otherwise healthy, fully fertilised & grown in full
sun
with some shadecloth when it gest too hot later in the season & I live

in
Sydney.
Thanks in advance for any tips