Old 29-10-2005, 11:47 AM
PatC

Default Supporting Tomato trusses

My tomatoes have a lot of young fruit on the trusses & would like some tips
on how to keep them from pulling the whole plant apart.
I supported the plants last year by staking & tying them up with pantihose,
but the heavy trusses ended up pulling the plants down & actually broke off
when they got too heavy, resulting in a lot of heartache.
BTW, the plants are otherwise healthy, fully fertilised & grown in full sun
with some shadecloth when it gest too hot later in the season & I live in
Sydney.
Thanks in advance for any tips

Old 31-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Christo

Hey Pat,

Last year I got some of that plastic mesh, with roughly 5cm square holes in
it. You can get it from Bunnings by the metre or roll. I think it was 120cm
wide. I used bamboo stakes threaded through the holes and hammered into the
ground to provide a support framework around the back and sides of my cherry
tomatoes. I then threaded the trusses through when they reached the mesh. It
worked well for me and kept everything off the ground nicely. This is a nice
cheap solution that only set me back about $10 or so if I recall correctly.

Good luck with your tomatoes.

Cheers,
Christo.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:32 AM
PatC

Hi & thanks
Do you think it would support big tomatoes?

u...

Old 02-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Christo

Hi Pat,

Yes I see no reason why it wouldn't. I had the bamboo supports about 2ft
apart but you could bring that into 18 inches or so for extra strength if
you wanted. The plastic mesh itself is sturdy enough, it's more a case of
ensuring it doesn't fall over.

Good luck,
Christo.