Old 26-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Roger Van Loon

Default Cymbidium goeringii

Yes, many of us grow (sub)tropical Cymbidiums - but does anyone have
Cymbidium goeringii?
I bought it last fall at a garden show and I was told it comes from
Japan. The man I bought it from said that it has been perfectly hardy
for many years in his garden in Holland.
I kept it in my frostfree greenhouse, intending to plant it out in
spring. Two weeks ago, I was a bit surprised to see that buds have
formed, and they are
almost opening now. So I did I read up on it - and it does seem to be
winter flowering. So, even if hardy, I wonder if it would make a good
show outside in our winters...
But perhaps, if grown outside here, it flowers later in spring, after
the danger of frost has gone?
Does anyone grow it outside and what are his findings?
Regards,
Roger.

--
Walk tall, walk straight, and look the world right into the eye.

You're welcome to visit my gardening page:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/gardenp.htm