Old 26-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Roger Van Loon

Default Cymbidium goeringii

Yes, many of us grow (sub)tropical Cymbidiums - but does anyone have
Cymbidium goeringii?
I bought it last fall at a garden show and I was told it comes from
Japan. The man I bought it from said that it has been perfectly hardy
for many years in his garden in Holland.
I kept it in my frostfree greenhouse, intending to plant it out in
spring. Two weeks ago, I was a bit surprised to see that buds have
formed, and they are
almost opening now. So I did I read up on it - and it does seem to be
winter flowering. So, even if hardy, I wonder if it would make a good
show outside in our winters...
But perhaps, if grown outside here, it flowers later in spring, after
the danger of frost has gone?
Does anyone grow it outside and what are his findings?
Regards,
Roger.

--
Walk tall, walk straight, and look the world right into the eye.

You're welcome to visit my gardening page:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/gardenp.htm
Old 27-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:01:04 GMT, Roger Van Loon
wrote:

Yes, many of us grow (sub)tropical Cymbidiums - but does anyone have
Cymbidium goeringii?

I don't grow C. goeringii, but I've got an unnamed Cymbidium that's
been growing outside for the last 10 years or so.

I kept it in my frostfree greenhouse, intending to plant it out in
spring. Two weeks ago, I was a bit surprised to see that buds have
formed, and they are
almost opening now. So I did I read up on it - and it does seem to be
winter flowering. So, even if hardy, I wonder if it would make a good
show outside in our winters...
But perhaps, if grown outside here, it flowers later in spring, after
the danger of frost has gone?

Mine's got 3 flower spikes coming on it ATM, the largest about 450mm
long.
Last time it flowered I took a few pics of it, one of which can be
seen at:
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/pete_t...?.dir=/urgpics
If anyone's got an idea which one it is i'd be interested to know,
though I did ask a mate who's an orchid expert and all he would say
for certain was that it was very highly hybridised.
--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.