Old 27-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Pete The Gardener

Default Cymbidium goeringii

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:01:04 GMT, Roger Van Loon
wrote:

Yes, many of us grow (sub)tropical Cymbidiums - but does anyone have
Cymbidium goeringii?

I don't grow C. goeringii, but I've got an unnamed Cymbidium that's
been growing outside for the last 10 years or so.

I kept it in my frostfree greenhouse, intending to plant it out in
spring. Two weeks ago, I was a bit surprised to see that buds have
formed, and they are
almost opening now. So I did I read up on it - and it does seem to be
winter flowering. So, even if hardy, I wonder if it would make a good
show outside in our winters...
But perhaps, if grown outside here, it flowers later in spring, after
the danger of frost has gone?

Mine's got 3 flower spikes coming on it ATM, the largest about 450mm
long.
Last time it flowered I took a few pics of it, one of which can be
seen at:
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/pete_t...?.dir=/urgpics
If anyone's got an idea which one it is i'd be interested to know,
though I did ask a mate who's an orchid expert and all he would say
for certain was that it was very highly hybridised.
--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.