Old 02-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Carol-Ann

Default Rebuilding 'veggie filter'

"PlainBill" wrote in message
Landscaping rock is very popular here, combining a couple of
suggestions, I'm thinking of putting the irises in pots (baskets?)
with enough washed rock to hold them down. I assume the idea is to
allow easy water flow around the roots.

And to keep the fish from rooting the soil out into the pond water. All the
plants I've tried in gravel will grow much better in soil just covered with
gravel. To discourage rooting I've switched to eggrock-gravel from Lowe's
instead of the finer gravels. Some plants will do OK in just gravel. Water
iris is one of them. Water lilies fail miserably in gravel alone.
--
Reel McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: