Old 01-11-2005, 11:20 PM
PlainBill

Default Rebuilding 'veggie filter'

About 2 1/2 years ago we purchased a home with koi pond in the Phoenix
area. The pond is about 800 gallons, with a few growing fish. After
rebuilding the main filter (using a variation of the 'Skippy filter'
the water has stayed clear year round (other than a problem with
string algae in the wither). Assisting this was an area at one end of
the pond containing water hyacinths, and another along part of one
side with water irises. This area is the problem.

The area with the water irises appears to be a shelf about a foot wide
and 10" below the surface of the water. There is a wall of loose set
2" x 4" x 12" cement 'bricks' on the edge of the shelf and separating
it from the main body of the pond. Apparently the area enclosed by the
wall was filled with soil and the water irises planted, or possibly
the soil was in pots weighted down so they wouldn't float.

Of course, the plants have multiplied and are pushing the wall over.
By looking at them I would say they are overcrowded and need to be
thinned. I would like to remove enough material to permit rebuilding
the wall, then replant as many of the irises as needed. Obviously, I
would like to do this without seriously disturbing the balance of the
pond. Any suggestions are welcome.

PlainBill
Old 02-11-2005, 03:18 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

PlainBill wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't worry about the impact as we are approaching winter. Pull
the stuff as needed. Reinstall the plants as you need to. They will
reestablish their roots fast enough when they start the spring growth.
I think the irises do relatively little for the actual filtering, as
compared tot he hyacinths. The iris roots go to ground and the leaves
grow slowly. The hyacinths, by comparison, grow rapidly and hang their
roots in the water. Now is a good time to rearrange.

Let us know how it goes.

Jim

PlainBill

Old 02-11-2005, 03:55 AM
~ jan jjspond

[...]

I'd start by draining the pond down below this 10" shelf, that way any muck
won't float off into the main pond. Rip everything out, saving the best,
shop vac out the remaining muck, fix the wall and replant in removal
baskets. Hold irises down with big rocks, rather than dirt. ~ jan

Old 02-11-2005, 04:50 AM
Carol-Ann

"PlainBill" wrote in message
About 2 1/2 years ago we purchased a home with koi pond in the Phoenix
area. The pond is about 800 gallons, with a few growing fish. After
rebuilding the main filter (using a variation of the 'Skippy filter'
the water has stayed clear year round (other than a problem with
string algae in the wither). Assisting this was an area at one end of
the pond containing water hyacinths, and another along part of one
side with water irises. This area is the problem.

The area with the water irises appears to be a shelf about a foot wide
and 10" below the surface of the water. There is a wall of loose set
2" x 4" x 12" cement 'bricks' on the edge of the shelf and separating
it from the main body of the pond. Apparently the area enclosed by the
wall was filled with soil and the water irises planted, or possibly
the soil was in pots weighted down so they wouldn't float.

$$ You can remove this and set potted plants on the shelf. Most of the soil
has probably washed away by now anyway. Also, water iris do fairly well in
gravel alone.

Of course, the plants have multiplied and are pushing the wall over.
By looking at them I would say they are overcrowded and need to be
thinned. I would like to remove enough material to permit rebuilding
the wall, then replant as many of the irises as needed. Obviously, I
would like to do this without seriously disturbing the balance of the
pond. Any suggestions are welcome.

$$ I think the biggest problem would be getting the MUCK from around the
plants roots into the rest of the pond. If you can drain the pond down,
being careful not to dislodge foul smelling aerobic muck into the water, you
can then lift out the plants. I can't see how that can be done without
filthy water leaking into the pond water though. You may want to remove the
fish to a temporary home for awhile as we did this past summer when we fixed
the berm and several shelves.
--
Reel McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 02-11-2005, 03:40 PM
PlainBill

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:18:12 -0600, Phyllis and Jim Hurley
wrote:

PlainBill wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the input, especially confirming that the water irises are
a relativly minor part of the 'ecology'.

PlainBill

Old 02-11-2005, 03:46 PM
PlainBill

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 19:55:15 -0800, ~ jan jjspond
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the sugggestions; I'm ashamed to say I never though of
lowering the level of the pond to help prevent the muck spreading.

Landscaping rock is very popular here, combining a couple of
suggestions, I'm thinking of putting the irises in pots (baskets?)
with enough washed rock to hold them down. I assume the idea is to
allow easy water flow around the roots.

PlainBill

Old 02-11-2005, 03:53 PM
PlainBill

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 22:50:44 -0600, "Carol-Ann" wrote:

"PlainBill" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions. You've given me some additional ideas.
As far as controlling the muck, one idea I've been kicking around is
to shore up the wall with a couple of planks while I remove the dirt,
plants, etc. By using plastic sheeting between the planks and the
wall AND scooping everything outward (not over the water) I should be
able to reduce contamination. Maybe a little strategic pumping so
water flows INTO the area being cleaned, not out into the main pond.

PlainBill
Old 02-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Carol-Ann

"PlainBill" wrote in message
Thanks for the input, especially confirming that the water irises are
a relativly minor part of the 'ecology'.

===================
In my ponds they're not minor since they grow rapidly and spread like
wildfire using nutrients as they go. Some of our irises reach 5' tall and
are covered in yellow flowers in the spring. All you need do is add Potash
at 1 to 2 Tbs. per 1000 gallons once a month or so. With Potash they're not
limited to how much Nitrates and Phosphates they can take up - they grow
wild. The fish use their overhanging roots to spawn on. Another rampant
grower is Pickerel weed. What I have learned from experience is the more
plants, and the larger they grow - the better!

I find the koi nibble the roots of water lettuce and water hyacinth to the
point they barely grow, limiting their uptake of excess nutrients in the
water.

Old 02-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Carol-Ann

"PlainBill" wrote in message
Landscaping rock is very popular here, combining a couple of
suggestions, I'm thinking of putting the irises in pots (baskets?)
with enough washed rock to hold them down. I assume the idea is to
allow easy water flow around the roots.

===================
And to keep the fish from rooting the soil out into the pond water. All the
plants I've tried in gravel will grow much better in soil just covered with
gravel. To discourage rooting I've switched to eggrock-gravel from Lowe's
instead of the finer gravels. Some plants will do OK in just gravel. Water
iris is one of them. Water lilies fail miserably in gravel alone.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:05 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Good point about what happens if they get nibbled. Our hyacinths are in a
veggie filter...no nibbles. Our irises grow fast, but not in comparison.

Jim

Old 03-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Carol-Ann

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
. ..
Good point about what happens if they get nibbled. Our hyacinths are in a
veggie filter...no nibbles. Our irises grow fast, but not in comparison.

================
The pickerel weed and parrots feather squeeze them out in my veggie
filter/settling tank set-up. These pickerel weed are so huge and so
intermingled with the parrots feather and intake pipe in the veggie tank I
don't know how we're going to remove them. This year is the biggest they
ever grew.
--
Reel McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy

Rebuilding pond/waterfall avz10 Ponds (moderated) 16 25-09-2009 01:41 PM
Rebuilding lawn Joe J. Gardening 6 24-08-2008 04:29 AM
Grass and lawn rebuilding George.com Gardening 3 31-10-2006 04:42 PM
Rebuilding a Walbro carb Mark Corbelli Lawns 6 09-06-2006 01:56 AM
Briggs & Stratton Replacement Engines vs rebuilding existing engine Scott Lawns 6 04-06-2003 03:56 AM