Old 04-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Andy

Default "Garden Centre Spiders"

"Banana" wrote in message
"Spider" wrote in message

| Glen Able wrote in message
| Dunno if anyone's interested in this sort of thing, but this is just
about
| on-topic...
|
| I've just found out about a curious species of spider that has been
| getting
| increasingly common in GCs and glasshouses across the UK in the last
| decade
| (they don't survive in the outdoors here). I've been seeing loads of
them
| in my local GC where they seem to be well established.
|
| They're medium sized, a very distinctive shape, and create orb webs
that
| are
| usually horizontal (although they're only rather distantly related to
our
| familiar garden orb weavers). It seems they've been getting imported
in
| plants and cut flowers.
|
| Some pictures and info he
| http://www.nicksspiders.com/nicksspi...usplumipes.htm
|
| Has anyone else spotted these little fellas?
|
| cheers,
| G.A.
|

| Hi Glen,
|
| Yes, indeed, I'm very interested in this sort of thing. Unfortunately,
I've
| not yet seen Uloboridae in my local GC. I think I'll complain to the
| manager. Thanks for drawing my attention to Nick's web site - I've
added it
| to my 'favourites' list. Wonderful stuff!
|
| Spider

And a few pics of it here, that Glen identified ;-)
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=48586342&size=m
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=57468074&size=m

Paul.

Haven't seen that one. I have seen a pure white spider
with the unusual habit of grasping the top of a flower stalk
with its four hind legs, then extending the other four in two pairs, left
and right horizontally, with them held together.

It looks for all the world like it's waiting for something to fly into its
arms, whereupon it will clobber it.

Andy.