Old 30-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Glen Able

Default "Garden Centre Spiders"

Dunno if anyone's interested in this sort of thing, but this is just about
on-topic...

I've just found out about a curious species of spider that has been getting
increasingly common in GCs and glasshouses across the UK in the last decade
(they don't survive in the outdoors here). I've been seeing loads of them
in my local GC where they seem to be well established.

They're medium sized, a very distinctive shape, and create orb webs that are
usually horizontal (although they're only rather distantly related to our
familiar garden orb weavers). It seems they've been getting imported in
plants and cut flowers.

Some pictures and info he
http://www.nicksspiders.com/nicksspi...usplumipes.htm

Has anyone else spotted these little fellas?

cheers,
G.A.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Spider

Glen Able wrote in message
[...]

Hi Glen,

Yes, indeed, I'm very interested in this sort of thing. Unfortunately, I've
not yet seen Uloboridae in my local GC. I think I'll complain to the
manager. Thanks for drawing my attention to Nick's web site - I've added it
to my 'favourites' list. Wonderful stuff!

Spider

Old 01-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Banana

"Spider" wrote in message

| Glen Able wrote in message
| Dunno if anyone's interested in this sort of thing, but this is just about
| on-topic...
|
| I've just found out about a curious species of spider that has been
| getting
| increasingly common in GCs and glasshouses across the UK in the last
| decade
| (they don't survive in the outdoors here). I've been seeing loads of them
| in my local GC where they seem to be well established.
|
| They're medium sized, a very distinctive shape, and create orb webs that
| are
| usually horizontal (although they're only rather distantly related to our
| familiar garden orb weavers). It seems they've been getting imported in
| plants and cut flowers.
|
| Some pictures and info he
| http://www.nicksspiders.com/nicksspi...usplumipes.htm
|
| Has anyone else spotted these little fellas?
|
| cheers,
| G.A.
|

| Hi Glen,
|
| Yes, indeed, I'm very interested in this sort of thing. Unfortunately, I've
| not yet seen Uloboridae in my local GC. I think I'll complain to the
| manager. Thanks for drawing my attention to Nick's web site - I've added it
| to my 'favourites' list. Wonderful stuff!
|
| Spider

And a few pics of it here, that Glen identified ;-)
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=48586342&size=m
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=57468074&size=m

Paul.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Spider

Banana wrote in message
"Spider" wrote in message

| Glen Able wrote in message
| Dunno if anyone's interested in this sort of thing, but this is just

about
| on-topic...
|
| I've just found out about a curious species of spider that has been
| getting
| increasingly common in GCs and glasshouses across the UK in the last
| decade
| (they don't survive in the outdoors here). I've been seeing loads of

them
| in my local GC where they seem to be well established.
|
| They're medium sized, a very distinctive shape, and create orb webs

that
| are
| usually horizontal (although they're only rather distantly related to

our
| familiar garden orb weavers). It seems they've been getting imported

in
| plants and cut flowers.
|
| Some pictures and info he
| http://www.nicksspiders.com/nicksspi...usplumipes.htm
|
| Has anyone else spotted these little fellas?
|
| cheers,
| G.A.
|

| Hi Glen,
|
| Yes, indeed, I'm very interested in this sort of thing. Unfortunately,

I've
| not yet seen Uloboridae in my local GC. I think I'll complain to the
| manager. Thanks for drawing my attention to Nick's web site - I've

added it
| to my 'favourites' list. Wonderful stuff!
|
| Spider

And a few pics of it here, that Glen identified ;-)
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=48586342&size=m
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=57468074&size=m

Paul.

Wonderful. Thanks, Paul. I'll be looking out for this spider from now on.
Spider

Old 02-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Banana

"Spider" wrote in message

snip
| And a few pics of it here, that Glen identified ;-)
| http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=48586342&size=m
| http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=57468074&size=m
|
| Paul.
|

| Wonderful. Thanks, Paul. I'll be looking out for this spider from now on.
| Spider

My pleasure )

BTW they are only about 5mm long, slim and brown so look a bit like bits of bark and can,
at first, be difficult to spot.

Paul.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Andy

"Banana" wrote in message
"Spider" wrote in message

| Glen Able wrote in message
| Dunno if anyone's interested in this sort of thing, but this is just
about
| on-topic...
|
| I've just found out about a curious species of spider that has been
| getting
| increasingly common in GCs and glasshouses across the UK in the last
| decade
| (they don't survive in the outdoors here). I've been seeing loads of
them
| in my local GC where they seem to be well established.
|
| They're medium sized, a very distinctive shape, and create orb webs
that
| are
| usually horizontal (although they're only rather distantly related to
our
| familiar garden orb weavers). It seems they've been getting imported
in
| plants and cut flowers.
|
| Some pictures and info he
| http://www.nicksspiders.com/nicksspi...usplumipes.htm
|
| Has anyone else spotted these little fellas?
|
| cheers,
| G.A.
|

| Hi Glen,
|
| Yes, indeed, I'm very interested in this sort of thing. Unfortunately,
I've
| not yet seen Uloboridae in my local GC. I think I'll complain to the
| manager. Thanks for drawing my attention to Nick's web site - I've
added it
| to my 'favourites' list. Wonderful stuff!
|
| Spider

And a few pics of it here, that Glen identified ;-)
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=48586342&size=m
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=57468074&size=m

Paul.

Haven't seen that one. I have seen a pure white spider
with the unusual habit of grasping the top of a flower stalk
with its four hind legs, then extending the other four in two pairs, left
and right horizontally, with them held together.

It looks for all the world like it's waiting for something to fly into its
arms, whereupon it will clobber it.

Andy.

Old 04-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Spider

Andy wrote in message

"Banana" wrote in message
"Spider" wrote in message

| Glen Able wrote in message
| Dunno if anyone's interested in this sort of thing, but this is just
about
| on-topic...
|
| I've just found out about a curious species of spider that has been
| getting
| increasingly common in GCs and glasshouses across the UK in the last
| decade
| (they don't survive in the outdoors here). I've been seeing loads

of
them
| in my local GC where they seem to be well established.
|
| They're medium sized, a very distinctive shape, and create orb webs
that
| are
| usually horizontal (although they're only rather distantly related

our
| familiar garden orb weavers). It seems they've been getting

imported
in
| plants and cut flowers.
|
| Some pictures and info he
| http://www.nicksspiders.com/nicksspi...usplumipes.htm
|
| Has anyone else spotted these little fellas?
|
| cheers,
| G.A.
|

| Hi Glen,
|
| Yes, indeed, I'm very interested in this sort of thing.

Unfortunately,
I've
| not yet seen Uloboridae in my local GC. I think I'll complain to the
| manager. Thanks for drawing my attention to Nick's web site - I've
added it
| to my 'favourites' list. Wonderful stuff!
|
| Spider

And a few pics of it here, that Glen identified ;-)
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=48586342&size=m
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=57468074&size=m

Paul.

Haven't seen that one. I have seen a pure white spider
with the unusual habit of grasping the top of a flower stalk
with its four hind legs, then extending the other four in two pairs, left
and right horizontally, with them held together.

It looks for all the world like it's waiting for something to fly into its
arms, whereupon it will clobber it.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

It sounds like you've seen Misumena vatia. Click on the website in the OP's
message .. click on 'spiders by family', then scroll down for the familiy
Thomisidae (Crab Spiders). You will see misumena vatia pictured, and this
should give you your ID.

Spider