Old 04-11-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Squash seed saving

Hi:
I had some super Yellow butterstick squash in early summer. I let 2
of them grow to about 3 feet long for seed. I kept them in my kitchen
until about Sept 15 and one of them was getting a little soft. I
brought it out side and cut it open....It had been in my kitchen for
about 6 weeks. I live close to St. Louis Mo. Zone 5-6... Anyway..
A lot of the seeds inside the belly of the beast had started
germenating...with one inch sprouts. The squash had not rotted
through or even close. I planted 4 of these germenating seeds in the
ground and within 2 days ...boom. After 2 weeks these guys were
growing fast but then the soil temp and night temp started going down
and they stalled. I potted 'em up and brought 'em inside.
Wow...they started to grow female flowers and male flowers even though
they were 6 inches across and maybe 8 leaves....Anyway this is my
first post on this group. Hope I didn't get carried away. My Fall
garden has Lettuce, Radishes turnips Brocchili Cauliflower and B
sprouts and cabbage. Thanks Joe Mc