Old 01-11-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Squash seed saving

Got a bunch of squash seeds that I would like to keep until next May
and attempt to grow the various varieties. What is the best method to
keep them? Thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:02 AM

Hi:
I had some super Yellow butterstick squash in early summer. I let 2
of them grow to about 3 feet long for seed. I kept them in my kitchen
until about Sept 15 and one of them was getting a little soft. I
brought it out side and cut it open....It had been in my kitchen for
about 6 weeks. I live close to St. Louis Mo. Zone 5-6... Anyway..
A lot of the seeds inside the belly of the beast had started
germenating...with one inch sprouts. The squash had not rotted
through or even close. I planted 4 of these germenating seeds in the
ground and within 2 days ...boom. After 2 weeks these guys were
growing fast but then the soil temp and night temp started going down
and they stalled. I potted 'em up and brought 'em inside.
Wow...they started to grow female flowers and male flowers even though
they were 6 inches across and maybe 8 leaves....Anyway this is my
first post on this group. Hope I didn't get carried away. My Fall
garden has Lettuce, Radishes turnips Brocchili Cauliflower and B
sprouts and cabbage. Thanks Joe Mc

Old 19-11-2005, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nancy G.

You may try pollinating the flowers with a cotton swab. You never
know, they may produce during the winter if the pots are big enough and
the plants well fed. Otherwise, just try and keep them alive and plant
established plants in the spring.

Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 01:16 PM
Saving the seeds from a squash? Keith \(Dorset\) United Kingdom 10 13-11-2006 08:57 PM
Saving squash seeds? zxcvbob Edible Gardening 7 23-08-2005 05:42 AM
Saving squash seeds? zxcvbob Gardening 0 21-08-2005 07:06 PM
Seed saving, book recommendation al Gardening 2 27-02-2003 03:51 AM