Old 12-02-2003, 04:25 AM
Colin Lewis

Default [IBC] Life in the colonies

From: Iris Cohen

I hope you know that last summer was very unusual, & this winter is rather
worse than average.

Now that's good news....

American society is considerably more regimented and conformist that in
Europe
Now that is surprising. I always thought it was the other way around.

Good heavens, Iris, wherever did you get that idea? This is such an
enormous country, that has grown so far so fast, that it has needed to
almost impose some degree of uniformity so as to establish and maintain some
form of national identity.

The material in America (on the eastern side, at least) is not as good as
in
Europe. There are fewer suitable species, and those that are most suitable
are
conifers

Maybe that explains why some of us get carried away with tropicals &
subtropicals from all over.

I think you are right. But I still wish people would dig up a few mroe of
those tasty foundation palnts form their front yards.

In fact, there are a couple of species - notably Ficus neriifolia and
Bucida spinosa - that I really wish I could grow effectively here in the
north.

Get a greenhouse or a light garden.

First I have to get a garden!

Colin