Old 27-01-2003, 06:59 PM
Rod

Default Pete's unknown Cymbidium

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Pete The Gardener" wrote in message :
,

It looks very much like the hybrid 'Angelica' and the flower spike
length you cite seems to back this up. Its a lovely thing which I
grew quite a few years ago with great success in a cold greenhouse.

I've not been able to find a pic of 'Angelica' so I couldn't check,
but I should add that when in full flower the flower spikes are about
6 or 700mm long. With luck it should be flowering again in about 6
weeks to 2 months, though if we get more warm weather it could be
sooner, it seems to stop developing when it gets below about 6 or 8C
and they're talking about cold and snow again later this week:-(

Welcome back Pete, where have you been, there was even a thread asking

where
you had gone. Couldn't mail you as I've had to reformat my HD and lost
everything!

Anyway, I understand that in Japan various unusual cultivated forms of C.
goeringii can fetch crazy money. I've looked for it on and off for some
while but I've yet to see it for sale in the UK. I'll have to redouble my
search.
It's on of the oldest "pretty" plants in cultivation, for over 2,500 years
in China, and they grow some outside at Kew right next to the Alpine

House.
Cribb and Bailes in "Hardy Orchids" say it's doubtfully hardy in the UK.
Probably due to our wet cold winters, they live under a nice blanket of

snow
for the winter in their native lands.
--

Hardy Cymbidiums 8-)) ? I might might learn to like orchids after all. Also
read of some scented orchids - even better.

Welcome back Pete - where ya been?

Rod