Old 27-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Stephen Birchall

Default using old hay for mulch ?

In article , says...
How old are the hay bales? If they have been outside all the time and have
gone through a summer or two and been rained on, the seeds will have
sprouted and then died. If not, this summer, water them down a time or two
and they should be safe the next year. Good luck. Dwayne

"anton" wrote in message

Stephen Birchall wrote in message ...

I have a few doz hay bales that I am thinking of using as mulch for newly
planted trees. I've not seen any info on this in the literature and am
wondering if it is a good idea or otherwise and if anybody has any useful
tips.

With hay then you'll be sowing a lot of
grass seeds and possibly encouraging voles, which can
sometimes be destructive & ring-bark new trees.

--

thanks for the information, I think I shall try it out. I suppose I ought
to test it out against other mulching methods to determine how effective

cheers

Steve