Old 26-01-2003, 09:00 PM
Stephen Birchall

Default using old hay for mulch ?

I have a few doz hay bales that I am thinking of using as mulch for newly
planted trees. I've not seen any info on this in the literature and am
wondering if it is a good idea or otherwise and if anybody has any useful
tips.

Steve
Old 26-01-2003, 11:11 PM
anton

Stephen Birchall wrote in message ...

I have a few doz hay bales that I am thinking of using as mulch for newly
planted trees. I've not seen any info on this in the literature and am
wondering if it is a good idea or otherwise and if anybody has any useful
tips.

With hay then you'll be sowing a lot of
grass seeds and possibly encouraging voles, which can
sometimes be destructive & ring-bark new trees.

--
Anton

Old 27-01-2003, 12:51 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "anton" contains these words:

Stephen Birchall wrote in message ...

I have a few doz hay bales that I am thinking of using as mulch for newly
planted trees. I've not seen any info on this in the literature and am
wondering if it is a good idea or otherwise and if anybody has any useful
tips.

With hay then you'll be sowing a lot of
grass seeds and possibly encouraging voles, which can
sometimes be destructive & ring-bark new trees.

For many years I used a lot of hay mulch under the trees in our last
garden; grass growth from the seed was never a problem (but I had
chickens scrabbling in the decomposing hay for worms). But as Anton
says,don't let it become a hideout for voles where they can sit chewing
bark; keep the hay a good 6" away from young trees' trunks.Very small
trees can have the bottom of their trunks protected against voles with
tubes made from a plastic bottle.

Janet

Old 27-01-2003, 02:13 PM
Dwayne

How old are the hay bales? If they have been outside all the time and have
gone through a summer or two and been rained on, the seeds will have
sprouted and then died. If not, this summer, water them down a time or two
and they should be safe the next year. Good luck. Dwayne

Old 27-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Stephen
Birchall writes

I have a few doz hay bales that I am thinking of using as mulch for newly
planted trees. I've not seen any info on this in the literature and am
wondering if it is a good idea or otherwise and if anybody has any useful
tips.

We have a build up of old hay and bedding straw from time to time. It
comes in with our regular deliveries of stable manure. I put it by until
I am going to begin a fresh compost heap, then I use it as a base which
will soak up any stray juices which may collect at the bottom of the
heap. By the time the heap is built, then matured, then used, the hay
and straw base resembles the rest of the compost.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 28-01-2003, 03:51 PM
cross

Stephen Birchall wrote in message ...

I have a few doz hay bales that I am thinking of using as mulch for

newly
planted trees. I've not seen any info on this in the literature and

am
wondering if it is a good idea or otherwise and if anybody has any

useful
tips.

----------
Over the past 5 yrs I have been planting small (and I mean small!) trees and
shrubs in what was a paddock but is fast becoming a woodland. All these
were planted into the existing grassland, with compost added, and then
mulched with old hay.
None of them have shown any vole damage, and all have grown well except a
special crabapple that I bought as a larger tree because that was the only
size available. It has not grown at all, whereas all the whips are romping
away.
Moral of the story is; don't waste money buying larger specimens if you can
buy them small.
So I would use the straw, it also provides nutrients as it rots down.

If you ever come across a book called "The No-Work Garden" by Ruth Stout,
it is well worth reading. She mulches everything with hay.

Best wishes,
Marina

Old 28-01-2003, 08:40 PM
Stephen Birchall

In article ,
says...

[...]

we've got 2 acres here, the top acre paddock, which I want to establish
some trees etc on to encourage as a wildlife area. It is a bit exposed,
so I'll need to plan carefully. We've been here about 16 months and the
local farmer cut and baled the hay from the paddock last summer. I
wouldn't describe it as good quality hay, could sell it at £1 a bale, but
prefer to devise alternative uses for it - would be useful as a wind
break, 2 bales in a V formation (perhaps 2 more on top) agin the wind to
give a nice shletered southerly aspect. Once the trees start to go into
the paddock, I am going to have to think of an alternative way to keep
the grass in some sort of order - I was thinking of an Allen scythe, but
these don't seem to be on the market nowadays.

I like the sound of "the no-work garden", I'll have to track down a copy

cheers

Steve
Old 29-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Stephen
Birchall writes

we've got 2 acres here, the top acre paddock, which I want to establish
some trees etc on to encourage as a wildlife area. It is a bit exposed,
so I'll need to plan carefully. We've been here about 16 months and the
local farmer cut and baled the hay from the paddock last summer. I
wouldn't describe it as good quality hay, could sell it at £1 a bale, but
prefer to devise alternative uses for it - would be useful as a wind
break, 2 bales in a V formation (perhaps 2 more on top) agin the wind to
give a nice shletered southerly aspect. Once the trees start to go into
the paddock, I am going to have to think of an alternative way to keep
the grass in some sort of order - I was thinking of an Allen scythe, but
these don't seem to be on the market nowadays.

They are -we bought one for the Nature Park last year. Well worth it,
lot less work than a strimmer. Less than 500 pounds IIRC. Stihl,
possibly?

For diversity of plants, which is foundation for diversity of higher
life, important thing is to reduce nutrient levels by removing the
mowings.

If you're moving over to woodland, you could get away with just cutting
a circle around the young trees. As they grow, they will begin to
suppress the grass growth.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

25 year old bales of hay ok for mulch? [email protected] Gardening 9 01-07-2011 03:49 PM
Free Hay mulch George.com Gardening 19 02-08-2007 08:34 PM
Hay mulch question George.com Gardening 4 20-05-2006 06:31 PM
Mulch hay Kathy Edible Gardening 6 02-03-2005 03:14 AM
hay mulch Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 6 25-05-2003 12:32 PM