Old 27-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Alan Gould

Default using old hay for mulch ?

In article , Stephen
Birchall writes

I have a few doz hay bales that I am thinking of using as mulch for newly
planted trees. I've not seen any info on this in the literature and am
wondering if it is a good idea or otherwise and if anybody has any useful
tips.

We have a build up of old hay and bedding straw from time to time. It
comes in with our regular deliveries of stable manure. I put it by until
I am going to begin a fresh compost heap, then I use it as a base which
will soak up any stray juices which may collect at the bottom of the
heap. By the time the heap is built, then matured, then used, the hay
and straw base resembles the rest of the compost.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.