Old 27-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Alan Gould

Default Delphiniums and others from seed

In article , JimM
writes
Whilst in B&Q at the weekend I grabbed a few packs of seed but have just
noticed that the Delphiniums suggest sowing direct in the garden between May
to July for flowering in May next year. Can I get these to flower this year
if I was to sow now, indoors in a heated propogator ?

The answer is yes, but don't do it (IMHO). Delphiniums are worth waiting
for and are much better grown as a biennial, then the roots can be kept
on to regrow as a herbaceous perennial for future years. If you want
quick results grow some Larkspurs - the annual version of Delphinium and
a graceful addition to any flower garden. We start our Delphiniums
singly in pots during summer then plant them out in the autumn.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.