Old 27-01-2003, 06:22 PM
JimM

Default Delphiniums and others from seed

Whilst in B&Q at the weekend I grabbed a few packs of seed but have just
noticed that the Delphiniums suggest sowing direct in the garden between May
to July for flowering in May next year. Can I get these to flower this year
if I was to sow now, indoors in a heated propogator ?

Thanks

Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying

Old 27-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Alan Gould

In article , JimM
writes
Whilst in B&Q at the weekend I grabbed a few packs of seed but have just
noticed that the Delphiniums suggest sowing direct in the garden between May
to July for flowering in May next year. Can I get these to flower this year
if I was to sow now, indoors in a heated propogator ?

The answer is yes, but don't do it (IMHO). Delphiniums are worth waiting
for and are much better grown as a biennial, then the roots can be kept
on to regrow as a herbaceous perennial for future years. If you want
quick results grow some Larkspurs - the annual version of Delphinium and
a graceful addition to any flower garden. We start our Delphiniums
singly in pots during summer then plant them out in the autumn.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 27-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Rod

"JimM" wrote in message
Whilst in B&Q at the weekend I grabbed a few packs of seed but have just
noticed that the Delphiniums suggest sowing direct in the garden between

May
to July for flowering in May next year. Can I get these to flower this

year
if I was to sow now, indoors in a heated propogator ?

Thanks

Jim

There's a good article in this month's RHS Garden Magazine about growing
perennial borders from seeds or cuttings to flower the same year. But as
Alan has already said it doesn't suit everything.

Rod

Old 28-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Alan Gould wrote:
In article , JimM
writes

Whilst in B&Q at the weekend I grabbed a few packs of seed but have just
noticed that the Delphiniums suggest sowing direct in the garden between May
to July for flowering in May next year. Can I get these to flower this year
if I was to sow now, indoors in a heated propogator ?

The answer is yes, but don't do it (IMHO). Delphiniums are worth waiting
for and are much better grown as a biennial, then the roots can be kept
on to regrow as a herbaceous perennial for future years. If you want
quick results grow some Larkspurs - the annual version of Delphinium and
a graceful addition to any flower garden. We start our Delphiniums
singly in pots during summer then plant them out in the autumn.

I tried growing Delphiniums in pots last year, but they
never grew beyond two leaves all summer. They just sat
there for months, and then died one by one. I don't know
why. Meanwhile the lupins raced ahead..

Rhiannon, ended up planting out three sorry-looking plants
simply because they couldn't do any worse in the ground than
in the pot! Don't know whether they've survived the winter
or not, I suspect not.

Delphiniums - help! GillD United Kingdom 0 26-08-2004 03:14 PM
delphiniums billq Gardening 12 08-07-2004 05:02 PM
Tall Delphiniums? Cupra United Kingdom 3 22-05-2003 10:56 PM
delphiniums and snails BlueShady Gardening 3 03-05-2003 04:08 PM
Delphiniums poisonous ? HaaRoy United Kingdom 2 08-12-2002 09:45 AM