Old 06-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

Default help needed on cactus

You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm surprised
you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an Epiphyllum.
Actually they grow wild in the vicinity of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil near the
Tropic of Capricorn and not hot equatorial tropical rain forest as many
assume.

"ned" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"dave1972" wrote in message

hi iam after some help i have just got the cactus from a friend

and i
have been told that it needs pollenating can anyone help i have

also no
idear what name it is i have attached a picture hope someone can

help

|Filename: DCP_1296.JPG

|Download:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2878|

dave1972

What do you mean 'it needs pollinating'?

What do you think will happen if you dont get it pollinated?

[ironic its another 'holiday cactus' after the recent thread!]

Its a "Christmas cactus" there are lots of different varieties I'm

sure
someone will come up with something it looks quite like, but I'd

guess there
are 50 varieties that also look quite like that. For care and

feeding look
up 'Christmas Cactus'

Agreed. It doesn't 'need' pollinating. It will continue to thrive and
flower next year - if it is not killed by kindness (too much water,
sun and heat). It is one of the Zygocactus varieties, from humid
tropical forests, so it appreciates an occasional spray with water, an
occasional drink of water at the roots, no direct sunlight and
moderate warmth.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk