Old 06-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Martin Brown

Default help needed on cactus

Cereus-validus-........... wrote:
You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm surprised
you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an Epiphyllum.

In the UK Zygocactus was still in common use until at least the 1970's.
I know the taxonomists rename things with monotonous regularity but
hobbyists and garden centres seldom relabel their plants as a result.

I suspect these days most are sold as Christmas/Easter Cactus or PC
variant Holiday Cactus. If you pollinate it you will get fruit and seeds
potentially but nothing serious happens if you do nothing at all.

Regards,
Martin Brown