Old 06-11-2005, 06:53 PM
ned

Default help needed on cactus

Martin Brown wrote:
Cereus-validus-........... wrote:
You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm
surprised you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an
Epiphyllum.

In the UK Zygocactus was still in common use until at least the
1970's. I know the taxonomists rename things with monotonous
regularity but hobbyists and garden centres seldom relabel their
plants as a result.

I suspect these days most are sold as Christmas/Easter Cactus or PC
variant Holiday Cactus. If you pollinate it you will get fruit and
seeds potentially but nothing serious happens if you do nothing at
all.

Sorry, seem to have missed the post from Serious-pedanticuss. :-)
OK, so my grey hairs are showing. And I'm not so involved with the
succulents as I used to be. But, I can assure our Cereus that
Zygocactus truncatus was still acceptable in the late 1980s (and
distinct from Schlumberga gaertneri) when I was picking up class
awards and medals at the BCSS National Shows.
So, the language has changed since then.
History has not.
;-)

--
ned