Old 28-01-2003, 07:59 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default rats in compost

In article ,
"cpemma" writes:
| "Nat" wrote in message
| Is this generally held to be a problem? They seem to live under it
| rather
| than in it, and I only see them when my terrier decides to stir them
| up for
| fun. Compost is about 30m from the house.
| Nat
|
| I suspect we've got one too. A small hole appeared in the soil next to
| the bin, re-appeared after I filled it in. Bit big for a mouse, too
| small for a hedgehog.
|
| Will rats eat slugs?

Yes, but the concerns about disease are more serious. It is worth
getting them dealt with - despite the difficulties placed in our
way by Whitehall.

They are typically attracted by the shelter and the worms, and not
what is put on the compost, so pretty well the only effective ways
are turning the heap over and poison.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679