Old 28-01-2003, 09:14 AM
jrbuk

Default spear and jackson stainless steel spade

For the second time, I've experienced my spade snapping at the "weld"
between shaft and blade. The first happened just about the first time I
used the spade. It was replaced after inspection by Spear and Jackson. Now
the same thing has happened to the replacement. I used it for all of last
season but first time out in 2003 it just snapped under really not very much
load.

Has any one else had such experience? Does any one know of a thoroughly
reliable stainless steel spade? I see lots about these days quite cheap.
However, they all seem to be of the same design with a small V shaped point
of attachment between blade and shaft which is seemingly secured (if like
mine) only along its edges. i.e by not many square millimetres of "weld".

What I really want is the traditional one piece, weldless design of blade.

My broken spade has a ten year guarantee so either I've been very unlucky or
I can expect several more replacements over the coming years. Poor Spear
and Jackson!........and I could do without the hassle as well!