Old 28-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Victoria Clare

Default rats in compost

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in
:

In article ,
"cpemma" writes:
| "Nat" wrote in message
| Is this generally held to be a problem? They seem to live under it
| rather than in it, and I only see them when my terrier decides to
| stir them up for fun.
|
| I suspect we've got one too. A small hole appeared in the soil next to
| the bin, re-appeared after I filled it in. Bit big for a mouse, too
| small for a hedgehog.

They are typically attracted by the shelter and the worms, and not
what is put on the compost, so pretty well the only effective ways
are turning the heap over and poison.

.... and poison is by no means reliable. My rat totally ignored all the
bait put down by the council Rat Man. Luckily (for us, at least), she
decided to move on of her own accord after a while.