Old 28-01-2003, 03:51 PM
cross

Default using old hay for mulch ?

Stephen Birchall wrote in message ...

I have a few doz hay bales that I am thinking of using as mulch for

newly
planted trees. I've not seen any info on this in the literature and

am
wondering if it is a good idea or otherwise and if anybody has any

useful
tips.

----------
Over the past 5 yrs I have been planting small (and I mean small!) trees and
shrubs in what was a paddock but is fast becoming a woodland. All these
were planted into the existing grassland, with compost added, and then
mulched with old hay.
None of them have shown any vole damage, and all have grown well except a
special crabapple that I bought as a larger tree because that was the only
size available. It has not grown at all, whereas all the whips are romping
away.
Moral of the story is; don't waste money buying larger specimens if you can
buy them small.
So I would use the straw, it also provides nutrients as it rots down.

If you ever come across a book called "The No-Work Garden" by Ruth Stout,
it is well worth reading. She mulches everything with hay.

Best wishes,
Marina